Our biggest fear with this surgery was the risk of Gavin becoming septic as a result of disturbing his bowels -- it has happened. His fever spiked over 104 and we are having a tough time getting his pain under control. We have increased the coverage of both anti fungals and antibiotics and we are awaiting blood cultures.
The other issue if the fluid. He has large amounts of fluid on either side of his abdomen and we are still needing to bolus him more due to his rising lactic acid levels.
To be very honest -- we are both very scared right now. I'm not so sure I was prepared for the post op period. He looks so terrible, the sickest I've ever seen him. Please pray that they can get his pain under control.