We have had a crazy frustrating day. We started this morning with a major lab error which sent everyone panicking of Gavin's platelets being 17. They were not 17 but with starting the Omegaven it gave us all a scare. We had an OR time of 10:00 which was bumped to 2:00. Around noon Gavin decided to spike a fever. Great. Dr. Katz came in at 4:00 and said we are not able to place the line due the possible infection.
To make matters even more frustrating we are fearing Gavin is having a reaction to the Omegaven -- with the fevers. One of the reasons for Gavin not being able to tolerate the intralipid is due to the high fevers it caused. In this case we are actually praying for a line infection and not a bad reaction to the Omegaven. Also Gavin's triglycerides are very high this morning and is they are higher tomorrow we will need to take a break from the fat. Gavin always had had difficulty processing the fat in his TPN, in fact we had an episode last year where Gavin's blood was light pink and his triglycerides were 3000 --- yikes! His levels are no where near that but it shows what a crazy guy Gavin tends to be. We are also removing the Foley tomorrow morning and we begin strait caths every 4 hours. -- Oh gosh.
So here I sit at 5:00 and I'm rather bummed over today's events. We are getting ready to start another very long weekend and I'm wondering how in the world we are going to stay sane until monday.
It could be worse.