Crazy -- that's a good word to describe things around here right now. On Monday Gavin's central line snapped leaving him with no IV access and plummeting sugars. I had to rush him to our local hospital for an Iv to be placed so that we could manage his blood sugars. Once the IV was placed we were transported via ambulance to duPont.
Once at duPont they were only able to kinda fix the line. It will infuse at a very slow rate without leaking but any kind of flush or high rate infusion and it leaks right out. I insisted that we leave the ER to come home, so Tuesday morning Gavin and I got home around 2:30am.
Around 8:00am yesterday morning our doc calls with the plan for bringing us back in to try to once again look at the line and see if it can be repaired. So we packed up again and spent the day down at the hospital again yesterday. In typical Gavin style, on the way to the hospital yesterday he spiked a fever over 103 - lovely. The surgeons decided that the line cannot be saved but were unwilling to place a new line until we have 48 hours negative blood cultures. I again insisted that we take him home with the understanding that if he or his line become more unstable we need to bring him down right away.
We tentatively have an OR slot for tomorrow pending the cultures. If they do come back positive we will need to be admitted and have a fem line placed until we can clear the infection.
Oh the drama.